Monday, May 10, 2010

Out of the Sea - Ocean Fresh Fish

Out of the Sea…

Over the past few months, we’ve met many chefs who have talked about the lesser known varieties of great tasting fish. We came across a few on a recent trip to Ocean Fresh Fish & Seafood Marketing Inc in Los Angeles. We saw a lot of different types of fish and here’s a few that caught our eye:


Striped Jack or Shima Aji

Have I got a recipe to introduce you to…

My All-Time Favorite – Spanish Mackerel


Unusual findings too…



So many chefs are talking about local sardines


UMI thanks Mr. Young Kim and Ocean Fresh Fish & Seafood Marketing Co., Inc for the visit, we’ll be back when we can spend more time.

We’re now off to try some different types of sushi and hope you do too, One Fish at a time…

Ocean Fresh Fish & Seafood Marketing Co., Inc.
1100 South Santa Fe Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90021
(213) 622-3677

Article and Photos by Jay Terauchi and Jeffrey Nitta

3 comments:

  1. This is really great to see fresh fish being sold, but I wish that they would be available to regular consumers. I go to the seafood counter at the grocery store and it just smells fishy. These fish look so fresh and I can imagine that they taste great. Wish there was a good fish market in the Midwest. Thank you for the great blog and keep it up, I'm learning so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really liked silver looking fish because it has a very fishy taste. For some reason, these fish look really good. I've never seen that needle looking fish before. Thank you for sharing your trip to the fish market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really been to a fish market, just seen pictures of the famous one in Seattle and the SF Fisherman's Wharf doesn't count as they mostly have crab. I often wondered if a place like that has so much fish really smells fishy? I guess that's why most places batter and fry the fish if it's not so fresh.

    ReplyDelete