Friday, October 1, 2010

Did You Know It's RAW?

Yes, that's how I ordered it. Sashimi translates to "fresh slice" and usually means raw seafood. If you walk into a sushi bar and it smells like fish, you should probably ask for the kitchen menu. Fresh seafood should smell like the ocean and doesn't have a fishy smell.

In a traditional Kaiseki multi-course meal, the sashimi course is served at the beginning. Heavier foods and dishes are served latter in the meal.


A Sashimi Course
At the sushi bar, the chef will always serve sashimi in odd numbered pieces, such as 3, 5, or 7. If you're served an even number, I would say they weren't trained in the traditional way or just have no idea.
Thinly Sliced White Fish
White fish is usually served with ponzu (citrus soy sauce), green onions, and grated daikon (giant white radish) with chili pepper.
Besides fish, sashimi also includes various types of seafood, including sea urchin (uni), spot prawns (amaebi), giant clam (mirugai), octupus (tako), etc.
Besides fresh fish, the thing about good sashimi si the freshly grated wasabi to go with it. Fresh wasabi isn't the hot, sinus blowing heat that we all know it to be. It's actually really flavorful and on the sweet side. But, we'll talk about fresh wasabi another time.
Freshly Grated Wasabi on a Sharkskin Grater
One of the best sashimi dishes that I've had was a plate of sliced albacore with fried garlic chips and dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon, it was unbelievable.
Anytime you have a great fresh fish, you should have it in its purist form. UMI will continue to bring you information about fish and sushi, let's continue to eat and enjoy sushi.
Please share your sashimi experiences with us.
Domo Arigato
Article by Jeffrey Nitta and Jay Terauchi


6 comments:

  1. Now I want sashimi for dinner. That's interesting about the fishy smell. Now that makes sense, the places that I thought weren't too good did have a hint of a fish smell in the air. Great tip! Can't wait to find out about fresh wasabi, where can I try some?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not eat alot of raw fish but I want to try the real wasabi. As you say taste very sweet and I want to try it. Who has the fresh wasabi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. Fresh wasabi is expensive and not many places carry it. I suggest that you either make some phone calls to upscale sushi bars or order some online. FreshWasabi.com has a really good product. If you do, tell them that Jeff and Jay say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice surprise to read your column, thanks to twitter I found you. It's fantastic that you share such interesting seafood information. I can see by the other comments that I'm not the only one who benefited from you. The next time I go to a sushi bar, I'm going to ask them about wasabi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tuna, salmon, and yellowtail sashimi to begin my sushi bar meal. I've not had a lot of exotic seafood, but your way seems the best way. Do you have your own sushi bar? Because I would want to visit your restaurant. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this time I thought the raw fish was still called sushi. Now I know that sushi places should not smell, I have been to places that smell. This is such great information to know.

    ReplyDelete